The South African market is undergoing a massive infrastructure upgrade to integrate connectivity into the urban grid. The idea of world-class fibre networks to service communication needs is finally being realised locally and is in full swing. This will open opportunities in a wide variety of industries for applications in education, health, banking, software development and more. However, the installation, deployment and effective utilisation of this infrastructure depends on a few essential products.
In this series, we highlight some of the latest products to help you either install or take advantage of established fibre networks. They are GS-5220-24UP4XVR Planet Switches, XGS3-24242 Layer 3 Stackable Managed Gigabit Switches, 24 Way LC Patch Panel – With Splice Kit for fibre and IGS-624HPT Industrial Gigabit 802.3at PoE+ Switches.
Ultra POE Planet switches are scalable and cost-effective
Ultra PoE networking solutions are a necessity for enterprise-level security systems.
Security specialists need a system that can work with POS systems and thin clients. They also need several output power options for PoE devices which makes Ultra POE ideal. Power is also necessary for non-PoE devices such as laptops, thin clients, POS systems, PTZ (Pan, Tilt & Zoom) network cameras, PTZ speed domes, colour touchscreen IP phones, multi-channel wireless LAN access points and other network devices.
This can all be done by the amazing Planet Networking Ultra PoE Managed Switch with Advanced L2+/L4 Switching and Security – the GS-5220-24UP4XVR Planet Networking Switch.
The PLANET GS-5220-24UP4XVR Switch is a cost-effective, 1.25U; Gigabit Ultra PoE Managed Switch with LCD Touch Screen featuring PLANET intelligent Ultra PoE functions for critical business applications.
It provides IPv6/IPv4 dual stack management and a built-in L2+/L4 Gigabit switching engine with 24 10/100/1000BASE-T ports. It also has 75-watt Ultra PoE and 4 additional 10Gigabit SFP+ ports. This adds up to a total power budget of up to 400 watts for different kinds of PoE applications. Some of the other features on PLANET Networking GS-5220-24UP4XVR switch include:
Power over Ethernet
- Compliance with IEEE 802.3 at Power over Ethernet Plus, end-span/mid-span PSE
- Backward compatibility with IEEE 802.3af Power over Ethernet
- Up to 24 ports of IEEE 802.3af/IEEE 802.3at/IEEE 802.3bt ultra PoE devices powered
- Supports PoE power up to 75 watts for each Ultra PoE port
- Auto detects powered device (PD)
- Circuit protection prevents power interference between ports
- Remote power feeding up to 100 meters
- PoE management
The PLANET GS-5220-24UP4XVR Switch helps enterprises with the available network infrastructure build wireless AP, IP camera and VoIP systems where power can be centrally-controlled.
Click to watch the video
Managed vs Unmanaged Switch
In this video, we discuss why you need a managed switch in your network
PLANET NETWORKING XGS3-24242 – Increase the capacity and speed of your network
Poor network disrupt productivity
Poor network can hurt the productivity of your clients, and cause unnecessary downtime. A lousy fibre network or local network can cause compounding problems. A solution is the Planet Networking XGS3-24242 Layer 3 Stackable Managed Gigabit Switch with IP Stacking technology. It offers intelligent security features, high performance, flexibility and reliability. It is suitable for campus networks, metropolitan IP networks and large infrastructure. With this Planet Networking Switch you can manage and configure up to 24 units from one IP address.
PLANET Networking XGS3-24242 Layer 3 Stackable Managed Gigabit Switch supports multi-layer IPv6/IPv4 Gigabit Ethernet Routing. It also provides 24 100/1000Mbps SFP slots, 16 shared 10/100/1000Mbps Ethernet ports, 4 extra 1/10G SFP+ uplink slots and 2 20G QSFP + slots for Hardware stacking to meet demanding bandwidth requirements.
- Connects with stack member via both Gigabit TP/SFP interface and 10G SFP+ slots
- Single IP address management, supporting up to 24 units stacked together
- Connects with stack member via QSFP+ slots
- Supporting up to 6 units stacked together
IP Routing Features
- IP routing protocol supports RIPv1/v2, RIPng, OSPFv2/v3, BGP4/4+
- Routing interface provides per VLAN routing mode
- VRRPv1/v3 protocol for redundant routing deployment
- Supports route redistribution
Multicast Routing Features
- Supports PIM-DM (Protocol Independent Multicast – Dense Mode) and PIM-SM (Protocol Independent Multicast-Sparse Mode) and PIM-SSM (Protocol Independent Multicast-Source Specific Multicast)
- Supports DVMRP (Distance Vector Multicast Routing Protocol)
- Supports IGMP v1/v2/v3 and MLD v1/v2
The Planet Networking XGS3-24242 is an excellent choice as a core layer switch for enterprises, data centres and small or medium-sized networks.
Click to watch the video
24-Port Gigabit Fibre Switch from Planet
In this video, we look at the 24-Port Gigabit Fibre Managed Metro Ethernet Switch
Cattex 24 Way LC Patch Panels – with splice kit for fibre networks
Installation and management of a fibre optic link made easy
Fibre optic patch panels an essential part of any fibre optic management unit. When you install and manage fibre optic links, you may encounter hundreds or even thousands of fibre optic cable connections. When installing fibre optic patch panels, it is essential to use the correct fibre cable pigtail to realise the smooth functioning of your fibre distribution.
A benefit of using fibre optic cables is their reliability despite the changes in weather or temperatures. The cables remain dependable as the fibre connectivity is not affected. The network connectivity will not be interrupted by moisture, heat, or even electromagnetic interference as fibre optic cables do not transmit electric current. With this, you will not experience an interruption of data transmission, which is essential in professional use.
The Cattex 24 Way LC Patch Panel – With Splice Kit for fibre is a product to consider when you install and manage the fibre optic links. It has 24 ports suitable for the two types of fibre-optic panels: wall-mounted and rack-mounted.
Single mode fibre cables work well with LC providing higher bandwidth and transmission rates as well as long-distance support.
What does the Kit consist of?
For all your Cattex fibre installation needs from Patch Panels, Patch Leads, Pigtails and Mid Couplers to outdoor enclosures and cattex cabling, give our expert team at Eurobyte Technology a call.
Come in and view our fibre demo kit to get a feel for our products and talk to our expert before you buy for peace of mind.
Click to watch the video
Fibre vs Copper
Why fibre is better than copper
PLANET NETWORKING IGS-624HPT Industrial Gigabit 802.3at PoE+ Switch
Industrial long Distance High Power PoE and Gigabit Data Extension Solution
High speed, efficient networks are fast becoming a necessity for Industrial factory automation, rail transportation, power generation, oil and gas development, and health care delivery systems across the world. These are all areas that can just as quickly be up to speed locally provided there is a stable fibre network. One of the essential tools for a stable fibre network is the PLANET IGS-624HPT Industrial Gigabit 802.3at PoE+ Switch. It is designed for harsh environments and will perform optimally under difficult conditions.
The PLANET Netwoking IGS-624HPT Industrial Gigabit Switch provides non-blocking wire-speed performance and great flexibility for Gigabit Ethernet extension. It offers 4-port 10/100/1000Base-T copper with 802.3af/at PoE injector and 2 extra 100/1000Base-X SFP fibre optic interfaces.
Some of the other product features include:
- 4-port 10/100/1000Base-T RJ-45 with IEEE 802.3af / 802.3at PoE Injector
- 2-port SFP slot interface, SFP supports 1000Base-X and 100Base-FX transceiver via DIP switch configured
Power over Ethernet
- Complies with IEEE 802.3af / IEEE 802.3at Power over Ethernet Plus End-Span PSE
- Up to 4 IEEE 802.3af / 802.3at devices powered
- Supports PoE Power up to 30.8 watts for each PoE port
- Provides DC 52V power over RJ-45 Ethernet cable to PD with Ethernet port
- Auto-detects EEE 802.3af/at the equipment and protects devices from being damaged by incorrect installation
- Remote power feeding up to 100m
Layer 2 Features
- Supports Auto-Negotiation and 10/100Mbps half / full duplex and 1000Mbps full duplex mode
- Prevents packet loss with back pressure (half-duplex) and IEEE 802.3x PAUSE frame flow control (full-duplex)
- Automatic address learning and address ageing
The unit is housed in an IP30 Industrial rugged, sturdy case. It has a DIN Rail and Wall Mount Design, 24~48V DC redundant power with polarity reverse protect function and removable terminal block for master and slave power. It supports 6000 VDC Ethernet ESD protection. The IGS-624HPT Industrial Switch is well suited for applications in deploying surveillance systems and securing control and wireless service in climatically demanding environments with wide temperature ranges from -40 to 75 degrees Celsius.
Click to watch the video
Fibre optic cables: How they work
In this video, a bucket of propylene glycol is used to show how a fibre optic cable works and how engineers send signals across oceans
Fibre has played a vital role in making possible the remarkable growth in global communications that have taken place in recent years. Going forward, it will be instrumental in delivering innovation in many sectors. We support the drive for a connected nation and work hard to keep up to date with the latest trends, technologies and solutions so the market has all it needs to get the job done.